3.28.2011

skiing in vermont, part 2.

i didn't brave the downhill slopes this weekend, as we had chilly winds all weekend. on sunday, mom & i decided to embark on a little adventure to trapp family lodge (yes, as in von trapp as in sound of music!) for an afternoon of cross country skiing. growing up, i was never a big fan of cross country skiing... it always meant being rather chilly, having a tremendous fear of skinny skis on "big" hills, and worst of all (depending on my age)-- doing an activity with my parents.  my time at running the nordic center at vista verde transformed my feelings for cross country skiing. the long, smooth trails around the pastures, with only gentle and rolling hills, improved my confidence and ability to get good exercise from skiing. by the time my parents came out to visit that year, skiing became something we could all enjoy together. i'm still a bit timid towards the big vermont hills, but i'm definitely coming around. despite a breeze out in the field, mom and i enjoyed a lovely afternoon in the woods, getting into a good rhythm on the smoother trails, and practicing my snowplow on the hills. surrounded by maple tap buckets, it was a perfectly vermonty afternoon.





No comments: