11.11.2008

OBAMARAMA!

This post is way overdue, but I feel like I can't write about anything else until I at least touch on the subject of BARACK OBAMA-- both my experience seeing him speak in Denver as well as the recent election!

On October 26th, Brett & I awoke at 4:30 am to drive to Denver for an Obama Rally. We met up with a lovely assortment of my friends & headed into downtown Denver to the rally. The line was massive... but luckily Kat had an in through a group she had been working with! We ended up jumping to the front of the line to join a group supporting green jobs... that happened to be organized by an 08 Vassar Grad (Eleanor Fort, for you vc folk out there)! Nearly as soon as we met up with them, we got to enter the park. After a lot of standing, some group photos, a bit of singing, a lot of laughing, and a touch of dancing, hearing from most of the Colorado Democratic Politicians.... OBAMA came out. His speech was, of course, mainly stuff we have all heard before in debates, speeches, and emails... but it was still inspiring, energizing and exciting to see him in person! As you will see in the last photo, there was a little bit of an issue with the stage set up, but luckily we were able to laugh over it rather than be tooo frustrated. We found out later that there were over 100,000 people there, which was his largest rally to date. All in all it was a memorable day of renewing hope for this country as well as appreciation for friendship.

For Election Night, we went over to Ken & Carol's (our landlords) with our friends Rob & Anita... we had watched all the debates together so it seemed only right to watch the big night together as well. We cheered as blue states came in, held our breath for Colorado's results, and drank champagne when Obama was declared the winner! I certainly cried when he gave his speech (as well as twice earlier in the day b/c i was so nervous!).

I am so so happy that Obama won. My hope & faith in this country has been renewed and it was such a memorable event in history. There is certainly a lot of work to be done, but I am so thankful that Obama will be the one to work on it.

I am going to try to post some photos of the Rally (wish me luck)-- and camera credit for the actual Obama pics goes out to Alysha because I had a little camera battery incident right at the crucial moment...





No comments: