10.12.2009


I enjoyed a most relaxing weekend in Steamboat. I did a lot of lounging... watching movies, putzing on the computer and hanging with the boys. I have today off from work and I've been to a wonderful yoga class at the yoga center and now I'm sipping on a steamed chai at Steamin' Bean.

My parents were out to visit at the end of September. It was their first trip out here without ski gear and deep winter (though we did still get snow....) and it was perfect. I picked them up in Denver and we strolled through the Botanic Gardens. That night we saw VAN MORRISON in concert. I've dreamed of seeing Van Morrison with my Dad for the past few years- we listened to him a lot growing up and I have many fond memories of Van songs with my Dad. We were really far back in the theater, but the acoustics were incredible and he played a fantastic setlist, including "Moondance", "Gloria", "In the Garden"... It was great.
We spent the next morning exploring Denver, and spent extended time at the Tattered Cover Bookstore. Then we drove up to Boulder, enjoyed lunch at Bim Bam Boo and strolled Pearl. I showed them where I lived briefly at Kate & Lex's house... and then we headed up to Estes Park where we spent the night at the Stanley Hotel. Luckily Mom & I haven't seen the Shining at all and Dad's only seen a bit of it, so we didn't get too freaked out! We stayed in the "historic" hotel & the fold-out couch that I was meant to sleep on was definitely historic. I ended up on the floor on top of the couch mattress, a cot & laughing hysterically with my Mom.

We drove on Trail Ridge Rd all the way through Rocky Mtn National Park, which was absolutely beautiful. We spent the remainder of the week in Steamboat where I was oh-so-proud to have a guest room and fully stocked guest bathroom. We enjoyed walking up Spring Creek, shrimp tacos at the yurt, ice skating, an italian birthday dinner (Mom turned 59!) complete with a waiter from Vermont and free desserts... It was so wonderful to have my folks here enjoying Steamboat with me.

I was, as always, so sad to part with them. I've had a hard time recently focusing on the beauty in present tense and avoiding getting sad when things end. The cycle of leaves dropping off the trees for fall & my parents leaving hit me hard and I had a rough week facing "change" and feeling lonely.

Today, the sun is shining and I am refreshed by yoga. Hooray.












1 comment:

Alaya said...

That pic of you and your folks skating is just too cute for words!

Miss you!